Sunday, July 25, 2010

Decisions

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I truly thought that my decision-making days were over when I retired. It seems to me that I have more now than ever.

I recently made another major life decision. After several days of research and many prayers, I have decided to place my house on the market (do this now or later), sort through 50+ years of memories (what to keep, donate, sell, trash), move only necessary items to a larger apartment (which apartment, what can I afford) at The Summit (what is necessary, will it fit), and sell the rest in an Estate Sale (which agency to hire).

I decided to stay at The Summit at this time for several reasons including financial (for a year now, I’ve been paying a house note, utilities, HOA fees, insurance, trash pick-up, lawn care, etc. on my house plus room and board here at The Summit and all of my medical expenses that are not covered by insurance), medical and security (there is 24 hour assistance available here), social (I became ill so soon after moving from Tennessee that I didn’t have an opportunity to make a new circle of friends, but I have a large group of friends that I have made at The Summit – albeit most of them between 5 and 30 years older than I) and emotional.

My kidney situation is the primary focus of my life. There is still an outside chance that my own kidneys may recover. It’s a very slight chance, but still a possibility. I pray for that daily. But I know that whatever happens is up to God. However, I have received so many of His miracles and truly believe that it is possible that I may get one more, my kidneys recovering. I’m doing everything I can to make it possible. I take my meds as prescribed, do my exercises as ordered, try to stay on a renal diet whenever possible, never miss a dialysis treatment and pray, pray, pray.

I have so much I want to write, but I am tired tonight. After church today Katie and I went to Starbuck’s (she has discovered coffee recently), then to the house and loaded her car with several items that I want to have here in my apartment or want to donate to the Activity Room here (games, movies, etc.) We then went to Michael’s (my happy place), Waterloo Ice House (for lunch, not ice), and HEB (grocery). After all that, we returned to The Summit and unloaded her car. She left to go ‘hang’ with Denny, her boyfriend and I came to my apartment to ‘crash.’ (Have you noticed that many words we learned in our youth mean the complete opposite for today's generation?)

Tomorrow is my ‘day of rest’ = no dialysis, no PT because my doctor appointments are usually scheduled on Mondays. Tomorrow is no exception. It’s going to be a big day for me. I am scheduled to have my ‘permanent’ port removed. This means that I’ll no longer have tubes and wires protruding from my chest. They get caught in my clothing and are very uncomfortable if I roll over on them as I sleep. I will finally be able to take a real shower and put more than my toes in Susan’s pool. Best of all, my neighbor, Mitzi, will no longer be able to call me ‘The Cow Lady’ in her cute Japanese accent. She says that my protruding tubes look like a little udder.

Well, that’s it for tonight. I guess I’ll close by saying ‘Moo’ for the last night I’ll be able to do so.

I love you all and pray for you to be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment