Friday, July 30, 2010

A Broken Mold

I think they 'broke the mold' when they created Texas men.

My experience of living in Texas has exposed me to some truly courteous men. The two gentlemen who share a table with me and some other ladies in the dining room are so courteous and thoughtful all the time. Yes, occasionally they can get a little cranky about the service and quality of food but they HAVE lived over eight decades and have earned that right. Yet they always stand until all the ladies at the table are seated, check to be sure everyone is served what they ordered, and seem to be truly interested in the conversation.

I went shopping at Target with my granddaughter, Katie, and her boyfriend, Denny, this afternoon. I had already been to the doctor for a follow-up visit, had my 90 minute physical therapy session, and eaten lunch, and I was a little tired by the time we reached the store. So I got one of the motorized carts for my shopping.

As I approached the check-out line, a male customer approached me and offered to empty my basket onto the moving counter. I politely declined because I am a very independent woman!!! (I really need to learn to let a man wait on me.) But wasn't that nice of him? That has never happened to me before.

The chivalry did not stop there. After checking out, I 'drove' the cart to its original parking spot near Aisle One, grabbed my cane and headed for the exit. With that another gentleman in a red Target vest approached me and told me that I could 'drive' the cart to the car and he would return it to the store. Again, I politely declined the offer and walked my independent self to the car. Katie and Denny carried my bags and we were parked in a nearby handicap space.

So there you have it, Texas gentlemen are among the most courteous I've met. Or is there the slightest chance that perhaps now that I'm healthy and skinny again, men are beginning to notice me and may possibly be 'hitting on me?' Nah, I don't think so!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment