Friday, July 30, 2010

Adequacy

I hear the word 'adequacy' and relate it to being 'adequate.' That is something I always thought was not a good thing. I remember hearing the phrase 'adequate, at best.' It was used to describe a job which was not done well. No one wanted to be told that they or the job they did was adequate.

However, (you knew that there had to be a 'however', didn't you?) I learned a new definition for adequacy. When our blood is drawn for lab tests, it is measured for adequacy.

The Nurse Practitioner visited each dialysis patient yesterday to discuss our most recent lab results. She told me that my adequacy was the best she has seen in recent weeks. She said that she had reviewed the reports of over 100 patients and my report was by far the best. (How about that? I'm at the top of the class?) I asked her what did that mean. She said that 'adequacy' is the measurement of the degree of the cleansing of toxins from the blood. That is the job of our kidneys, but when one has kidney failure, a dialysis machine has to do the job. I'm hoping that my results are good because my own kidneys may be 'kicking in.'

I used to pray for my kidneys to 'rejuvenate', then after months on dialysis, I gave up hope and prayed for a transplant. But Susan and Joann told me that the kidney doctor had told them that he was hoping that the use of a fistula would help my kidneys 'return.' He said that he wasn't going to consider this to be permanent kidney failure until I had used the fistula for six months. I started using it June 6th. So I have some time to go before I 'give up.'

Those of you who have worked with me know that I don't give up easily. I tend to thrive with challenges. So I'm praying for my kidneys to start to work again. You are welcome to board this prayer train with me.

God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment