Monday, September 2, 2013

So this is what Murphy's Law is like?

OK, so here's the deal: If medical procedures make you queazy, stop reading here. Since today is a holiday (Labor Day), Atria (formerly The Village) can only provide transportation for me TO dialysis. Plan A = call a cab to get back home and Atria will pay fare. Arrived at clinic and requested that I not have a 'trainee' connect me to the machine. (I have a fistula which is difficult for most techs and nurses to find the vein portal.) Last week a newly hired former trainee was assigned to me. Monday and Wednesday 'sticks' were difficult for her, but she managed. Friday, she maneuvered the needle around in my arm and couldn't succeed. She called a new nurse (also unfamiliar with my 'uniqueness') to help. She couldn't find the vein either. So a nurse who knew my arm, came to the rescue, but after the damage had been done. My arm is terribly bruised and sore. Thus, my request for someone who knows my arm to hook me to the machine. One problem......the nurse could not find a pulse in my arm! This means that there is either a clot somewhere in my system or more probably damage to my fistula. Therefore, I could not get dialysis today. Scene Two: I need emergency angiogram and surgery. Problem: I ate breakfast and the surgery cannot be performed today. Scene Three: Surgery scheduled for tomorrow. Problem: Atria drivers are booked for tomorrow and cannot provide transportation. I called Susan to ask her to take me. "Sorry, Mom, I'm having surgery myself tomorrow morning." (Explanation later...just remember her in your prayers.) I called Joann. She is booked solid with conferences tomorrow. (willing to change if necessary, but many people would be inconvenienced if she did) So I put her on hold. Chris will be with Susan. Wes and Haley will be working. Hayden and Tyler have school. Scene Four: I convinced the assistant social director to drive me to the surgical building tomorrow at 7:15 am for my 9:00 am arrival appointment for my 10:00 am surgery. I told her I would just take my iPad and play Candy Crush for 90 minutes. Scene Five: I realized that with all of this happening, I will have gone 5 days without dialysis, if I have to wait until my regular time Wednesday. (If you know anything about dialysis, you know that 5 days without dialysis is a death wish!) So I called the treatment clinic and asked if they could 'squeeze me in' for a treatment after my surgery. They agreed. The surgical team is going to provide my transportation to the dialysis clinic since Atria can't. Scene Six: After my dialysis, I am to call Atria. If they cannot pick me up and bring me home, Haley will be off work and can come provide my transportation. I know this is a long rant and I'm truly sorry for bending your ear/drying your eyes/boring your brain. When it rains, it pours. I just thank God that I'm still alive to have these problems, but I surely would like a break from all this mess. I want to truly enjoy my golden years instead of thinking of them as my twilight years. In the meantime, please pray for my Susan and her 'procedure' and for me and my 'procedure'.

No comments:

Post a Comment