Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Historically Has Not Been a Day of Rest For Me.

It occurred to me that I should strike Labor Day Weekend off my future calendars. Labor Day Weekend, 1995: I was hospitalized with pseudomembranous colitis. I don't remember how many days I was at Germantown Methodist Hospital, but I do remember that I missed six full weeks of school because of it. Labor Day Weekend, 2008: I flew to Denver, CO to attend a second cousin's beautiful outdoor wedding in Ft. Collins, CO. All was fun until I prepared to fly home. My direct flight was cancelled and I had to hustle to find an alternative. Eventually, I was placed on a flight to Detroit (not the most pleasant place to be at midnight) and connected with a flight to Memphis (an even scarier place to be at 2:30 A.M.) Labor Day Weekend, 2012: I flew to Nashville, TN. to eventually join the Crenshaw Family Reunion at Kentucky Lake. While there, I received a phone call that a matching kidney was being flown from Philadelphia to Austin and I needed to be at the hospital in six hours for transplant surgery. Since I'm a Republican, Air Force One was not available to me and I had to decline the offer. BTW, I think that my request for AFO would have been declined even if I had voted for Obama. ;-) Labor Day Weekend, 2013: If you read the immediately previous post, you know the problems I've had today. If you haven't read it, suffice it to know that both Susan and I are slated for surgeries tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment