Sunday, September 1, 2013

It's Been A Year, Now What?

One year ago this weekend, I was at The Crenshaw Family Reunion. I'm not really blood kin to them, but I gave birth to two who are. So, kindly, I am invited to their family functions. We gathered at Kentucky Lake and had a wonderful time reminiscing and meeting all the youngsters who have joined the family by birth or marriage. While there, I received a phone call that a kidney was on the way to Austin from Philadelphia. I had just a few hours to get to the Austin hospital to receive it. Alas, it was not to be. Kidneys only stay viable for 13 hours and I couldn't get to Austin in time. I cried. Strangely not from disappointment, but from finally having proof that I was indeed on the transplant list. What a joy in what was also a disappointing moment. Since that weekend, I have 'chained' myself to Travis County. I didn't want to miss the next kidney. My kidney surgeon advised me to lose a few pounds around my mid-section to help the surgery go better. So I have been working out in the pool a minimum of two hours a week. I usually get in 3 or 4 hours a week, plus I walk at a brisk pace the 'long' way to most activities here. I cut down my eating and generally stick to my renal diet. I have been losing weight slowly but surely. I try to stay away from 'germ-ridden' areas and people. It's hard to do living with a lot of old folks. But I think I know the sanitized folks around these parts. I feel that I am doing all the right things and am ready for the next call. Where is it? It's been a year since the first and last call. Now what? I'm tired of being chained to Travis County. I miss seeing my family in all parts of the country. I miss my dear friends of 40 years in Memphis. I miss the wanderlust of my life. I never missed a summer of traveling before I got sick. Whine, whine, whine. Yes, I know, I should be happy to be alive after battling the M&Ms (M.R.S.A. and Meningitis). I know I should be happy to live in the same county with my children and grandchildren (Katie is a part-time resident when she's not in college.) I know that I should be happy that I live in such a lovely place with so many friends and opportunities. I am, but I'm frustrated, impatient and tired of waiting for The Call. And, then.......I remember "Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it." What if I do get another call and I can't get to the hospital in time? What if I do travel out of Travis County and The Call happens again? What if I do get a transplant but my body rejects it? I'm running out of time.....I've been around the sun 72 times. Dialysis patients average 5-7 years longer once they start the treatment. (I have heard of a few living up to 20 years on dialysis.) I've been on dialysis 4 years. The treatments and meds are not cheap. Medicare and Supplemental Insurance only pays so much. A teacher's retirement + SSI is not a lot of money compared to other professionals. Rumor has it that Obamacare may stop dialysis for patients over 75. Then what? Adios Amigos!! If this sounds like a Pity Party. So be it. I'm just writing down my thoughts on my One Year 'The Call' Anniversary. Now for a little 'upper'. I am leaving Travis County in nine days!!! I'm going with a group of friends to Dallas to the George W. Bush Library. We are going to spend the day there and have lunch in the conference room there. On the way back we will stop in Waco for dinner. (I'm requesting Cracker Barrel.) So help me, if I miss out on another kidney during that trip, I'm just going to take up a room in the hospital!

No comments:

Post a Comment