Thursday, February 6, 2014

The British Invasion of 1964

50 years ago The Beatles came to America and stirred up the lives of many. Mine was one. I started teaching in 1963 in a self-contained classroom of 36 third graders. I was in 'Hog Heaven.' Back then we were allowed to TEACH!!! I opened each day with what I called Morning Exercises. We said The Pledge, sang the National Anthem, read some Scripture and spent a few moments doing some calsthenics to music. I played Beatles songs and the kids and I would do toe touches, jumping jacks, marching in place, etc. My first parent complaint ever was about my choice of exercise music. How dare I play that Satanic stuff by those long-haired heathens? My principal came down to join us one morning. The music was "I Want to Hold Your Hand." At the end of Morning Exercises in Miss Townsend's Class, he smiled, patted me on the back and said, "Keep up the good work, Miss Townsend." The next day we exercised to "She Loves You, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment