Friday, August 6, 2010

Progress

So much is happening in my life that I don't know where to start.

Each day seems to bring another blessing.

My lab reports continue to be good. I have to admit that the most recent report (Thursday) indicated that I need to eat just a little more protein. The dialysis nutritionist told me to tell my family to take me to a steak dinner. True!

She also told me that it would be OK to have an occasional glass of wine. (Hic!)

My Physical Therapist informed me that I have met all my goals and am going to be discharged from Physical Therapy next Wednesday. I can still go to the gym and work out on a daily basis (when I'm not in dialysis) and I plan to do so. I'm so use to exercising now and actually enjoy it.

Today was the hottest day of the year. The temps got up to 102F. So what was I doing at 10:00 AM? I was doing PT and my therapist had me walk up the high incline across the parking lot from our building. I had done it once before with her, but that was with my 4-wheel walker. Today I had to do it with a single footed cane. Well, friends, I did it, heat and all!!!!

My therapist also said that I could begin walking short distances in the building without a cane. Yep, I'm now walking totally unassisted. Praise God. One year ago, I could barely sit up in a bed. It was a small miracle for me to wiggle my toes.

Your prayers, my family's constant support, and God's love brought on this miracle recovery. There was no way I was going to quit or give up, y'all wouldn't let me!!! Thanks, Everyone!!!

I got a new haircut today. I feel so youthful looking (except for the fact that my hair is white as new fallen snow.) Photos of it are on my Facebook status.

This morning I received a martini delivered to my door. Well, not exactly. It was a flower arrangement in a huge martini shaped vase. My family had sent it as an early Birthday gift. Pictures of it are also on my Facebook status. The arrangement was comprised of pink roses, pink and rose daisies, and purple orchids. It is absolutely beautiful.

Katie and I had another lunch 'date' Wednesday. We went to the Magnolia Grill. It is a typical college hang-out not too far from the UT campus. Great food, good prices, and fun atmosphere.

I got two surprise phone calls today, one from my nephew, Michael. I love talking to him. He reminds me so much of his dad. Mike is a 'hot shot' with Charles Schwab in Indianapolis and a father of three sons. I am so proud of the man he has become.

The other call was from my dear friend, Becky. She has a daughter here in Austin and visits me when she is in town staying with Amy and Howard. But today she took some time away from a church trip to Nashville to call me. She, like so many of my retired friends, seems to be busier now than she was as a principal. I admire all the work she does out of the goodness of her heart. Becky is a sweet gentle woman and a dear, dear friend.

Well, that's about all the news for now and the hour is getting late. I have to settle down and get ready for another dialysis day tomorrow.

Sweet dreams, Everyone, and May God Be With You this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment