Sunday, June 30, 2013

Joys of being on Facebook

One of the joys of being a 'senior' on Facebook is viewing the lives of our younger generation: babies, toddlers, teens, young adults.....all experiencing the blessings of youth. I am Facebook-connected with immediate family, distant relatives, dear friends and former co-workers, former students and even some of their parents and grandparents. I love hearing from all of them. Recently I experienced my daughter and son-in-law's trip on a Grecian flotilla. Via their photos and videos, I almost felt that I was rocking the waves with them. Their pictures of the food caused me to nearly drool imagining the taste. My other daughter was dealing with one of her twins having major ear reconstruction surgery. Via her photos from the pre-op room, I knew it was time for prayer. All is well and he is recovering nicely at home. One granddaughter is in Colorado exploring God's beauty via vista visits throughout the mountains. The photos she posts are breathtaking. My other granddaughter is experiencing new parenthood via her newly purchased puppy. The responsibilities of raising a pup are very similar to adding a baby to the household minus the luxury of diapers. I get to enjoy videos that she posts of puppy pranks. So many of my cousins (second and third removed) are now posting pictures of their new babies and children. I know through those that our family tree is indeed growing throughout this wonderful country. We are all so blessed that our ancestors were so brave and wise to cross the ocean for live in the new world. It makes me want to study our family history to learn more of where I came from. Many of my former students are posting pictures and videos of their families. It is so hard for me to imagine them as adult parents (and some even grandparents). I love every one of these posts. I am so proud when I read of my former students' accomplishments: graduations, colleges, post-grad degrees, marriages, families, jobs, job promotions, new homes, new cars, etc. Facebook has reconnected me with my high school and college friends. We all look like different people, but our memories keep us young in our minds. I love hearing from my former colleagues. I could write more about the joys of Facebook, but I shall stop here. I'll just say that the many hours I spend on Facebook are not wasted. Reading all of my FB friend's posts bring tremendous joy to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment